Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Depot after biking City Canyon

There is a nightclub just across the street from our condo called the Depot. It has a few bands performing there each week. Wayne and I noticed that the Young Dubliners were performing the week before St. Patricks Day and after listening to a few of their songs on Rhapsody we decided to go.



It was Saturday, March 8, a day threatening rain but not too cold, so after biking to the barber and missing a little misty rainfall while inside, we got on our bikes and headed N up the mountain neighborhood known as The Avenues.


A few times I had to get off my bike and push as the road was just too steep, but eventually we got up to 11th Ave and B Street where we got onto N Bonneville Dr., a scenic downhill ride into City Canyon. We switched to the City Canyon Rd/trail (all uphill) and managed to get to rest stop #17 before I just couldn't go uphill anymore. But what a beautiful place to rest!


We finally got back on our bikes and braked and coasted downhill all the way back to our condo. The sun was setting and my hands were frozen by the time we were back home. I took a shower to clean up and warm up while Wayne did some computer work, and then we dressed in nice casual clothes and headed out to check out the Depot.

We stopped in at a restaurant that shares the space on the north end of the old Union Pacific Depot but decided it was too fancy for our dress. We noticed a line forming outside the nightclub so we decided to get tickets before eating. We bought tickets from a young man who couldn't make the show, and after hearing that the Depot served food, decided to stand in line until 8 so we could get in and get a seat.


About 15 minutes to 8 people started going in. Apparently they knew the band or had a special pass, as the rest of us just waited. Bouncers came down the line and had one member of each party sign a form to "join the club", and after checking IDs, stamped our hands. (One of the interesting things about SLC, which is slowly being phased out, is that alcohol can only be served in private clubs where one must first pay a membership fee. Now, many restaurants may also serve alcohol as long as one buys food.)

We finally began to go in and after giving our tickets and showing our stamps we headed up the stairs to the 2nd floor. There were tables on platforms around the edge of the large dance floor but they all seemed to be reserved. Tall stools around the outside edge of these platforms were already taken by the early arrivals so we headed up to the third floor which was a U shaped balcony looking down on the stage and main floor. Again the tables on the edge of the balcony were all reserved, and the first row of tall stools were also claimed, but Wayne and I found 2 stools on the East wall. The Depot had 2 giant screens mounted on our level near the stage area and we had a clear view of them, but couldn't really see the stage.


We noticed only one other couple near our age, most of the audience seemed to be in their 20s & 30s. Wayne got us beers and we settled onto our stools and were entertained by watching our neighbors, the end of the Jazz game (which was broadcast on the large screens), and the bouncers who were keeping people out of the reserved table area (you needed a wrist band to prove you were part of the party that reserved the tables). I think some money may have passed hands too, as I saw a Bouncer get chairs from a back area and place them along the front rail behind the tables for a few patrons.


At 9 PM the warm-up band began and they were a local Irish music band. We enjoyed their music but had to stand on tip-toes to see anything other than what was on the big screens. Nobody was running the cameras for this band as sometimes the soloist wasn't even on the screen! I had to use the restroom and it was a pleasant surprise. I left early enough, expecting a long wait in line, but found a new spacious facility with more stalls than the Metrodome, and no waiting! On the way back to our stools I stopped on the steps where I had a great view of the stage, until the bouncers moved me along.


The early band had warmed the crowd up and the Young Dubliners began a little after 10:30PM. Wayne had gone down one level to the main bar and brought back a giant pretzel and more beer which was our supper. The crowd was very rowdy, singing along and dancing and jumping to the music. Sometimes it was hard to even see the screens! Instead I listened to the music and watched all the commotion going on around me.


One table particularly interested me. It was center front of the balcony, and remained empty until just before the main act. A waitress who had been waiting on all the reserved tables, brought to this empty table 4 brandy snifter sized wine glasses and a large bottle of red wine. This intrigued me as everyone else in the place was drinking out of kegger-style plastic cups (a good decision by management with all the jumping around!) About 15 minutes before the main act, the waitress came back to the table and opened the bottle to breathe. Then, with about 10 minutes to spare, the party arrived led by a woman close to my age with short, neon-pink hair. She was well known to the staff and received hugs from a few. She had with her a few hunky looking young men and another older woman. I didn't recognise her but assumed she was someone famous. Watching their table was great entertainment for me when I couldn't see the stage or even much of the screens as our neighbors jumped and danced to the music.


The Young Dubliners played more Irish Rock than traditional music and my ears were ringing by midnight. It was a fun experience but I was feeling old and tired before they were done. We stayed through their encore and it was only when the lights all came up and I slid off my high stool for the last time, that I realized how stiff and sore I felt.


I blame my pulled lower back muscle on pushing my bike up the Avenues and later the City Canyon trail, but probably sitting on a tall stool for 4 hours and craning to see the stage, or at least the big screens, did not help. Ten days later I still have twinges in my back, especially when I have to sit too long. Maybe I am too old to be going to nightclubs to enjoy rock bands! I know if we plan to go to the Depot to see a band again, I will find out how to reserve one of the tables with normal chairs and a view of the stage!

No comments: